CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, February 24, 2012

Welcome Little Man

We're happy to announce the birth of our sweet baby boy!  He was born today 2-24-12 at 11:16 am, weighing a healthy 8.1 lbs, and 21 inches long.  He loves to cuddle after he eats and grunts and groans when he sleeps.  He's nursing well so far and seems to have wonderful sleeping habits!

This is the story of how our whirlwind day went for anyone who wants to know....my water broke at home on Thursday evening.  My mom was out of town so we made quick plans with my brother Abe and his wife Cody to drop the girls off there for a sleep-over.  We thought for sure the baby would be here that night but we were so wrong!  I was only dilated to 2cm when we got to the hospital so the nurse started me on pitocin. The contractions started and I was progressing but I guess the baby wasn't tolerating the contractions so they turned off the pitocin to let him rest.  We were told to get some rest, but it was difficult because of all the cords hooked up to me, the beeping alarms that seemed to go off every 20-30 mins, and the not so comfortable beds.  By early morning, they started the pitocin again, and by 10am I had dialated to a 10cm.  I started pushing, but the baby's head wouldn't move at all, and his blood pressure got dangerously low.  I didn't want a c-section, but it ended up being the best choice to get the baby out safely.  We didn't understand the seriousness of the situation until we took some time to talk about it and decided it was the best thing to do.  After I gave the OK it was like everyone kicked into high gear and frantically wheeled me out the door and down the hall to the opperating room.  From the time I gave my okay and the time our baby was 'born' was about 10 mins.  The baby was out and fine, but I guess the Dr. cut a vein or something because I started loosing a ton of blood and almost had to have a histerectomy.  Luckily a specialist came in and was able to stop the bleeding and get everything under control.  The team of doctors spent about an hour stitching me back together.  I am grateful that all turned out well, the baby is doing great, and I have minimal pain(thanks to the meds). I am also sooooo grateful that I will still be able to have children after today!

7 comments:

Lauren and Taylor said...

Oh my! I am so glad you are doing well. Sounds like it was a stressful few hours near the end. Have you decided on a name yet?

Love you and hope to see you and everyone else soon!

Lauren

Team Furnival said...

He looks so cute. Glad everything turned out well. Love you and can't wait to meet the "new cousin."

Elder and Sister Dunn said...

Congrats on a beautiful baby! That was one intense delivery. I hope you get LOTS and LOTS of pampering for the next month or so.

Tarah Wright said...

Oh my gosh, Beth! Emergency c-sections are the worst! And so scary about the near histerectomy. I'm so glad you are doing well. But recovery will be brutal. Just being honest:) Cant wait to hear what his name is!

Jenny Ricks said...

Wow! That is quite the experience. I am so glad he is here safe and sound and that you are ok! He looks handsome! :)

Cody said...

I was so worried for you! I'm grateful things turned out the way they did. You're a tough mama! He is so sweet.

Rachelle Underwood said...

Wow! I'm so glad you and the baby are OK. What a traumatic experience.